Wednesday, February 16, 2011

To Call or Not to Call, That is the Question

“Let’s stop all this email and get drinks this week? 867-5309 – Polo Player.” Crap. A phone number. A phone number and an invitation. To call or not to call, that is the question. Let’s look at both sides of this, shall we?

Or Not to Call: My mother would definitely tell me not to call. She’d say to wait until the boy calls you, because boys don’t like pushy girls- they remind them of Shelly who stole their milk and pulled down their pants in front of their classmates during kickball in the third grade. Per my recent review of “Why Men Love Bitches,” I’m sure Shelly Argov would tell me to wait to make him call me. And I’ve promised myself not to deliver any more dead moose to the doorstep of the men I date (if that makes no sense, click here).

To Call: But he gave me permission, neigh, asked me to call him. Why else would he give me his phone number? And what about being a modern feminist woman? I can stare down opposing counsel, negotiate criminal sentences with the U.S. government and once I made a grown man cry on the stand. Calling a member of the opposite sex for a date should be as easy as getting a communicable disease from the guys on Jersey Shore.

Ambivalence: Polo Player and I started an email flirtation via OK Cupid way back in November. We sent three or four messages, it went nowhere fast, and I forgot his screen name altogether. One chilly February day he re-appeared in my inbox asking how I’ve been. I’m guessing he either (1) had a short-term girlfriend and therefore disappeared for three months or (2) went through the hotter chicks and is now ready to try me on for size. Either way, I detect ambivalence.

If I do call, does that set the pattern for him to be ambivalent, and for me to run the circus the way I normally do in relationships? I’ve been accused of taking charge – it’s a quality that serves me brilliantly at work and horribly in interpersonal relationships. If I call, does that give him permission to be dragged along, to stop trying before he starts- to be, in essence, the female in the relationship?

I’m not sure. For now, I sent him an email back that said, “Drinks sound awesome! Call me at 555-5555.” I must say, if he doesn’t call, I’m likely to break down in a couple of days and send a friendly text. I suppose that’s the half-way point right? And I’ve always liked the idea of relationships built on equal ground.

2 comments:

  1. I was just going to suggest the text message route. If he offers you his phone number and says maybe we should meet up sometime, it is a great opportunity to send a short notice invitation--Oliver, it is Miranda from OKCupid. Drinks sound great. I just got off work and was thinking I would grab a quick bite to eat or have a drink at the Golden Gopher. Interested?

    Simple as that. You made an offer, appropriate for text message format, and it 1) invites a call back to explain why tonight isn't good and an offer to meet at the Redwood Bar & Grill on Friday or 2) a text message that declines and says, I will let you know when I am available oe 3) you got yourself a date at the Golden Gopher. Either way, you have successfully shown interest and put the ball in his court. Any guy who doesn't take initiative to make time in the schedule that night or return the offer soon is ambivalent and not worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice I had my 30th Bday party at the Gopher. On the other hand it smacks a little easy. It sets a time and place in a popular bar and she'll be there solo? Not gonna work.

    It's up to the man to be a man and call or setup the impulsive rendezvous. If not Miranda will not respect him later and will take it as a cue to dominate. Doesn't anyone understand that women want a man to be a man and lead. Nothing more attractive then real confidence, leadership, and taking a risk.

    MEN ALWAYS CALL FIRST AND SETUP THE FIRST ENCOUNTER.

    ReplyDelete