Sunday, February 6, 2011

Am I Easy on Vacation?


Now that I’m back to the usual grind, I’m momentarily shocked at how I acted on vacation. If I were in public relations, I’d describe that night as, “acting on instinct and with total freedom.” But my former Catholic School teachers might, in the bright mug-shot light of day, say that I was acting, well -- easy.

Easy??? Me???: Oh no, no, no. In normal dating life, you’re lucky- VERY lucky to get a damn kiss at the end of the night with me. Come upstairs? I don’t think so – you won’t be coming in my house or anywhere else near me until I know who you really are. I follow the advice of the Millionaire Matchmaker – no sex until monogamy. Any guy thinking I’m following the “three date rule” is going to be vastly disappointed.

But on Vacation: In the midst of the ocean breeze and the aforementioned blanket of stars at two in the morning, I was easier than a teenager completing a Fisher Price puzzle. I wanted him. Now. And it didn’t matter what he did for a living, what his religion was, or whether or not he liked dogs. Which makes me wonder, was I using him?

Matters of casual sexual activity are generally pejoratively described as a man pursuing a woman for cheap physical gratification. The woman, overwhelmed by his injurious charms and lecherous leanings, succumbs to a brief coitus. Then, walking in shame with her torn-off dress in her hands, she returns to her room scorned and ambivalent, feeling both sadness and regret. But I don’t. Not even kinda.

Maybe it’s my Thirties: Perhaps getting to my thirties has allowed me to wholly embrace my own femininity and not to apologize for indulging in a brief dalliance for the pure joy of connecting with another person. Maybe months and months of careful weeding of potential partners with self-enforced celibacy allowed me to break free and embrace a moment for just that – the moment, instead of focusing on what it will all mean for me and my future, or how such an activity should make me fell about myself. I feel great. And I don’t see a reason not to.

It’s Not How I’ll Always Be: I luxuriate in the not-so-distant memory of my night on the upper verandah deck last week. Do I think I’ll take home that attitude? No- most lifetime partnerships don’t start with passionate long-distance hook-ups in strange parts of the world on a floating mass of iron.

Maybe that’s the true magic of vacation- allowing yourself to be whoever it is you want to be – the free version of yourself separate from hours or sales quotas at work, family dinners to attend and bank balances to worry about. I want to take a part of that girl home though- being reminded of how much fun I can be, and how free I can feel, was definitely a good thing.

Melting on vacation is an easy feat, and being an easy-bake-oven, just once in awhile, can’t be that bad, or in fact, can actually be, that good.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, perfect your journey to the dark side is almost complete. If I wrote about some vacation fling I might be accused of talking "about scoring tons of chicks and using us as interchangeable penis warmers." I've given a lot of women the same feeling you have. Fun night, romance, great sex without the drama of relationship entanglements.

    Here's the rub, the more you do this the harder it is to be monogamous. You don't know if he was married or with a gf and vice versa. I can tell you every woman who does this says "I haven't had sex in three months" or something like that. I'm sure you espoused your recent celibacy as well during the tryst.

    This is exactly my definition of "crazy" it's not a bad thing its just that what women say they want is not in sync with their actions.

    BTW, I'm on your side 100% on this one. I'm just trying to figure out can you have passion and stability in a single female.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...well I asked about married (OMG I'd kill myself) and girlfriend - he obviously said no to both, though he could be lying -- but he was there with family members who would have had to lie with him, so I feel fairly certain that he was indeed single. But I get your point and it did worry me some.

    And to be fair - I said "sexual activity" - not necessarily sex. :) Really.

    I greatly prefer relationships if only because the sexual element is more frequent and available. But a fun night is a fun night -- I can't decide if I'm pleased or horrified by your approval, Mr. Ringo. :)

    ReplyDelete