Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Thoughts on "I Work Out"

"I work out." "I love to work out." "There's nothing better than the feeling of working out!" It seems that there is an automatic opt-in under the "what I do with my free time" section that requires a guy to say "I work out!" in his profile. These people can generally be separated into three categories:

(1): Yes You Do: Good lord - three pictures with your shirt off? Really? Not that I'm not impressed- I am -- it's just, well, I have some idea of how much time that must actually take to maintain. Not only that, looking at well-sculpted abs makes me immediately think of how we'd look naked together. Or rather, how you'd look at me, with my extra bit of tummy love that's carefully covered whenever I'm out in public with a flattering top and jeans that don't press in too tight at the top. You'd run. You'd scream. Or, let's face it, you'd go on to the next profile immediately. Sigh. Fine, you're right, you're too good for me. Shit. And no, I don't want to go camping with you or spear fishing or multi-day triathaloning, so really, we just aren't meant to be.

(2): No You Don't: Look, sweetie, I can see your picture. You clearly don't work out. And that's cool - I only work out exactly as much as Oprah's latest trainer has said I must in order not to gain weight. But you aren't fooling anyone. Just list something like "fork-lifting" as your hobby and it'll come off as much more genuine and much better for you. And please, while we're at it, please don't apologize in your profile with, "I just started working out. I plan on losing like another 75 lbs. In fact, these pictures are probably out of date when you read this." Riiiiight...

(3): Like Goldielocks, you're Just Right: Ah the guy who looks like he would look good naked but doesn't actually take his clothes off in his pictures. The one who lists actual activities (running, surfing, skiing) instead of "working out" as his hobbies. This guy I can get into. Or let get into me. I understand this guy.

As for my profiles? I've chosen the #3 approach - listing hiking with the dogs, skiing, boogie-boarding etc. to show active but not obsessed. Which is actually true, and hopefully, more interesting to someone than, "I log at least 45 minutes on the treadmill a day."

I do have a special fondness in my heart for the guy who posted, "No, I didn't climb Kilamanjaro on my last vacation, I don't play semi-pro baseball and don't snowboard every weekend. Who are these people? I usually watch TV after work or play on the internet. If that's not OK, I hope you find your adonis out there when you're on the eighteenth mile of your fifth marathon this month." Awww- honesty. Gotta write that guy an email. Maybe he's my true love?

7 comments:

  1. To the TV-watching, internet-playing guy: you're my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! How is the online dating thing working out? There should be a category for guys who don't care to do the online dating profile and would rather perfer the choice of whether or not to even write about themselves and their work out or tv watching habits...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyle- I've actually seen several men who have profiles that simply say, "Kevin has yet to fill out his profile." It's not exactly an effective way of getting dates, you know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your writing style and a mutual friend told me to read your blog. Good stuff. Maybe I can give a little guys perspective. I'm same age range same LA area so there is some common ground. I've tried online dating Only Eharmony and POF for a couple of months. I ended up on 10 dates and slept with 7 of em. Yes it was 3 and 4 at a time. It's a lot of work and kind of spammy. I also had the "I met this person" online feeling that it wasn't romantic.

    So am I a profile to be avoided?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I like that, "Kevin has yet to fill out his profile..." That probably means he is unsure about the whole thing and just giving it a try to see what is out there. And maybe instead of statutory rape jokes he was getting online date jokes or blind date bait and switch horror stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you JohnnyRingo for coming to my blog. :) I appreciate it! As to whether your profile is to be avoided, it's hard to tell without reading it. Slept with 7 out of 10, 3 or 4 at a time- well you've got excellent statistics in terms of closing the deal - I hope you're in sales. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A mutual friend suggested that I read your blog, and I love it. I laughed out loud while reading this one. Thanks from a fellow urbanite on the quest.

    Here's a great write up I found. She's got a pretty good book too.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tracy-mcmillan/why-youre-not-married_b_822088.html?ref=fb&src=sp

    ReplyDelete