Sunday, February 20, 2011

All in the Timing

I saw a friend from my former job for lunch last week. As we blathered away she casually mentioned a meeting she'd just had with Lawyer X. My mind drifted back like a Calgon commercial - there he was - the opposite of my usual type- swarthy with a thin build and hair far too pretty for any man. He was fiery - the type of person who eats a handful of habernero chilis washed down with a jalapeno shake for lunch. His hips swerved with such sex appeal and grace as he walked- he looked as if he could break into a meringue in the middle of the office and show girls would appear to dance with him.

Five years ago we met at work and had an instant flirtation. But the timing was soooo off- first, I was his subordinate, which, particularly in a law firm, is begging for a law suit. Not to mention that pesky boyfriend I was with, and would be with, I would soon learn, for the next three years or so. But that didn't stop me from getting butterflies when I had to go to Lawyer X's office or imagining myself writhing on his desk underneath him once I got there.

The pot had simmered to boiling and when he finally asked me out. I still remember the pink floral dress I was wearing and my 4-inch do-me heels. There in the break room at work, I turned him down as gently as possible, using words like, "I'm super attracted to you but..."

But Now. But now, I'm single. It's been three years since I last saw him. We professionally played out our jobs until I left the firm. "So, is Lawyer X still single?" I asked my friend as casually as possible. "Yeah, as far as I know. He doesn't talk about anybody." Wow- there's that lightening feeling again.

Back at my office I strung up my courage and emailed him. "Hey you! It's been a long time! I saw (friend's name here) for lunch and thought how nice it would be to get together if you're amenable for a happy hour. Let me know!" Ten excrutiating minutes later, I got the YES. Then five more emails back and forth.

Life is all about timing, right? Perhaps now the moment is right. I know we were both into each other then- let's hope now, the clock will strike midnight and a new day will dawn. Or at least that I'll get to run my fingers through that oh-so-Pantene-fresh hair of his.

3 comments:

  1. My friend (and fellow attorney) Matt Kober happened to be at a bar where they were interviewing for this bit on being single. Maybe you'll find this entertaining or informative. Watch the two part news story here:
    http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-single-in-salt-lake,0,5444165.story

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fingers are crossed for you, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kyle! I'll check it out! And I love you M.E.G! I'll let you know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete