Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How hard should I be trying at this?

I have a dear friend who recently fell IN LOVE. Head-over-heels, your-bridesmaid-dress-will-be-periwinkle, he's-the-one IN LOVE. She and I have known each other since college. In those 14 or so years, I've nearly always had a boyfriend, and when I didn't, was running around dating and going to singles events and trying to be "out there" as much as possible to maximize the number of people I met and hence the likelihood I'd fall in love.

This was never my friend's approach. She completely believed the right person would find her and she'd live happily ever after. I thought she was crazy. Apparently, she was right.
Her method was unorthodox, but effective. Over the weekend I listened to a podcast from a spiritual love coach whose method essentially was believe he's out there with all your heart. Now wait for him to appear. Huh? That's it? Sort of a Field of Dreams for Love- if you build it, they will come. Or more accurately he will come, but if he's the right one he knows that the woman should come first and often before he does.

This love guru, who has been giving seminars for two decades promised that love would find you- even if you only stay home, proceeded to give examples of this from her work. One of her clients was a tailor in his home who fell for his client when she came to have pants hemmed. Perhaps the fact she took off her pants helped? One woman fell in love with the electrition who came to fix her wiring, and yet another's soulmate literally got into a car crash in front of her house, knocked on the door and asked to use the phone.

So maybe I've been trying too hard? I don't know. Sitting home and leaving it to fate seems a little iffy to me. Then again, eHarmony just charged me $137 for my three-month renewal and that hasn't exactly brought the rainbows and roses it was supposed to. But hey- blind faith worked for my college friend, and my method has thus far left me with a hangover and some ugly first dates that went nowhere. Just in case, I'm working on believing that he's out there. I'm building my field- he's welcome to come any time he wants.

4 comments:

  1. And he will, sweetie. I believe it too! :)

    - The college friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it is a matter of being available. Perhaps you and Mr. Right crossed paths once before already, but one of these relationships you were in caused him to move on? I know it isn't a very optimistic view, but seriously. How many times in life are you in a relationship and then you have the most amazing conversation with someone. Fireworks are bursting brightly, the chemistry is there, but the availability isn't. It becomes just another fabulous plane flight to be chalked up to the "what might have beens".

    ReplyDelete
  3. You WILL meet your husband this year. I can feel it. Just keep adding to that Field of Dreams and he'll find you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats again Celluloid Girl- you couldn't deserve it more!

    Thanks Kyle- it may be true - and I'm currently working on reigniting a previously-lit flame that began while I was in a relationship years ago, so we'll see how that goes.

    Love you too M.E.G.!!! :)

    ReplyDelete